29 October 2011

Double Indemnity

I posted a couple of months ago about attending a Film Fatale screening of Roman Holiday (original post here!) The idea is that you dress up as a character from the movie or in clothes from the era, and everyone there made such a big effort! I was blown away, everybody looked incredible. Well next week Film Fatale is on again, and the film they're screening is Double Indemnity, made in 1944. I'm so excited! The dress I'm going to wear is my grandmother's wedding dress, which she had custom-made. I love it, and I can't believe what a good fit it is! 
vintage dress // Topshop boots
I'm planning to try to put pin curls in my hair, but I'm not very good at hair styling (particularly vintage styles which seem very tricky). If it works out I'll try to take another picture for the full effect!
               
I love the detail on the collar and the buttons are beautiful, they're all hand covered with the same silk as the dress.
H&M tippet // vintage bag
My new favourite fur wrap from H&M will of course be making an appearance. And how pretty are these pockets? This is seriously the most flattering dress I've ever worn. I don't consider it just an old fashioned dress to wear as part of a costume, I would certainly wear it day to day - I'm just a little worried that even to have it dry-cleaned might damage it. So I wear it sparingly!

Do you have any family heirlooms that you still love to wear? Or are you dressing up this weekend for Hallowe'en?

*It looks in a couple of the pictures like there is a stain on the bottom of the dress but it's just a splash of rainwater, phew!

15 thoughts:

Wida said... Reply to comment

Ah! I really love your dress! So lovely, and I love vintage bags. They're so cool. I don't have any family heirlooms :(

But I still don't know what to be for Halloween!

Wida
Missing Amsie Blog

X said... Reply to comment

This dress is amazing!! I'm in love with it - the detail along the neck and the pockets is so unique. Your grandmother clearly had amazing style!! This event sounds ingenious - is it taking place in Dublin? I just bought Double Indemnity on DVD a couple of weeks ago but haven't got around to watching it yet.

Cosmia, Inflammatory Knit said... Reply to comment

@The Headless Mannequin

Yup it's in Dublin! It's so cute, at the Roman Holiday one they had tables with checked tablecloths and candles in wine bottles and people selling little boxes of popcorn and packets of biscotti :)

Trees said... Reply to comment

Such a beautiful dress! Amazing you can wear your grandmothers wedding dress. I much prefer a wedding dress like this to a big old white frou frou number. I have heard of film fatale - sadly they haven't made it to our shores yet but I really hope someone picks up the idea as it sounds amazing!

Dandy-Doll said... Reply to comment

Very old-fashioned like but so lovely dress!! You wear it wonderfully :)

XOXO

http://thedandydoll.blogspot.com/

Tess Atkinson said... Reply to comment

that dress is gorgeous, I really love your addition of the stole x

welldressedmaker said... Reply to comment

this is such a beautiful dress! I really love the lace pockets and the buttons!
♥ laura
the blog of worldly delights

erin e flynn said... Reply to comment

oh wow, what a gorgeous dress! i love it!

i don't have anything quite so old... i do wear some of my mom's old clothes from the late 70's/early 80's. I have two sweaters from back then. She did have some gorgeous coats from the 60's that she offered me when I was about 15, but I was in a punk stage and didn't want them so she donated them. can't believe how dumb i was, i would love to wear them now! =[

Arielle-HumblePieVintage said... Reply to comment

Your blog is lovely. You look beautiful in this dress, I really like it with the fur collar attached. I love that it's your grandma's. Family heirlooms are the best! :)

-Arielle
www.humblepievintage.com

The Canon Girl said... Reply to comment

What an absolutely gorgeous dress! The pockets and the buttons are absolutely amazing indeed and I can't wait to see that vintage weddingdress! :-D Also, don't worry about the pincurling. I am really really bad at styling my hair too (seriously, I have a blowdryer and that's it) and those pincurls are just awesome. You might want to do a little 'test ride' like trying out one or two little pincurls, sleeping on them and see how you like the outcome.

Cosmia, Inflammatory Knit said... Reply to comment

@The Canon Girl

I DEFINITELY need to try the pincurls before next weekend, I can see it ending in a frizzy disaster!!

katymitten said... Reply to comment

this dress is so lovely. i especially love the pocket detailing, and the fact you teamed it with a fur stole. you can never go wrong with them! they literally add so much to an outfit. x

Heather, 29 Skirts said... Reply to comment

That dress is incredibly beautiful! I would be nervous about wearing it too. I love how you're wearing the faux fur with it!

chantilly said... Reply to comment

you are so adorable! the color of your hair is gorgeous, especially with your lipstick :) x

Melina said... Reply to comment

amazing dress
xx

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! I love reading new style blogs so please leave a link to yours if you have one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...