31 October 2011

Happy Hallowe'en!

I'm not a very good Hallowe'en participant. I didn't dress up and I don't have any candy in the house, I didn't carve a pumpkin and I'm not planning to watch any scary movies..
However Hallowe'en does mean a bank holiday here, so I had a lovely long weekend with these guys:
Mr. Ukulele and Mr. Knitting!

I've wanted to learn an instrument for so long but I kept putting it off because lessons are quite pricey. But fortunately, the ukulele is super easy to learn online! I used to play drums but I've never played a stringed instrument before. Over the weekend I've learned to play along with "Foundations" by Kate Nash and "In Five Years Time" by Noah and the Whale - it's so exciting! If you've ever thought about learning an instrument try a ukulele, it's fun and so satisfying to be able to learn a tune so fast. I've just been strumming away all day long with a big smile on my face. I can feel myself growing some callouses on my fingertips already, soon I'll be just like a pro.

Aside from ukulel-ing I also had time to finish another knitted Christmas present.
I got the pattern for this knitted kitty here. Hmm, now that I look at it, the original looks a lot better than mine.
Luckily this little guy is a present for my friend's baby daughter Sadhbh, so I don't think she'll mind too much if he's a tiny bit wonky. Kudos to any non-Irish reader who can guess how the name "Sadhbh" is pronounced!


Did you do anything fun for Hallowe'en? Or do you like to hide like I do?

14 thoughts:

Arielle-HumblePieVintage said... Reply to comment

I know I feel bad that I didn't do anything for Halloween after reading everyone's blogs. Maybe next year I'll get more into the spirit haha.

-Arielle
www.humblepievintage.com

welldressedmaker said... Reply to comment

your knitted kitty looks so adorable! I wish I had the skillz to do that!
♥ laura
the blog of worldly delights

Unknown said... Reply to comment

oh its so cute! I am working on Christmas presents too!

Carrie

Trees said... Reply to comment

I was considering to learn to play the Ukulele too! But I just never seem to get around to it. Halloween isn't really a big event here in NZ - so I don't generally celebrate it.

Percy Owl said... Reply to comment

That's interesting... once I finish organising my life (jobs - ner!) I might have to look into getting a ukulele. My neighbor downstairs is a musical anthropologist, and I'm fairly sure she knows ukulele lol.
I want to learn an instrument so bad!

kaylah said... Reply to comment

The knit kitty is so cute!

chantilly said... Reply to comment

i think the first picture looks like the PERFECT way to spend halloween... probably better than going out! :) that's a pretty sweet ukulele, btw! i've been trying to play mine more... writing a new song with it now :)

xx

Magical Daydream said... Reply to comment

I also started learning to play the ukulele! I'm not that good yet, but I am getting better. And I agree that it is so much fun!! :D

x

Marielle

The Canon Girl said... Reply to comment

Ooh such a sweet knitty kitteh! :-D And I love the ukelele, you should check out 'Blue, red and grey' by The Who. If you can play that, I'll be your biggest fan! :-D And I googled on how to pronounce Sadhbh, though I kind of already suspected the bh is actually a V sound. Like the name Siobhan (was a big sugababes fan back when she was still in the band). So yay!

Rebeccak said... Reply to comment

Oh your cat is adorable!! Will you add a little stitched face?

I have some mates who got together and started a ukestra (you can find them under that name on Facebook!) They are pretty amazing!

Cosmia, Inflammatory Knit said... Reply to comment

@The Canon Girl

I found the tabs for that song and it shouldn't be TOO hard.. I am working on it for you :)
And well done on working out Sadhbh! It's pronounced like "Sigh ve". Weird!

Cosmia, Inflammatory Knit said... Reply to comment

@Rebeccak

Thanks! I definitely want to add a face but I'm scared to ruin it :(

Julia Topaz said... Reply to comment

I support both these things! My uke is my most favorite thing I own!

Gray Lavender said... Reply to comment

'Foundations' must sound so amazing in an ukulele :D and i love your knitted cat, i wish i'd knew how to knit.

http://graylavender.com

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! I love reading new style blogs so please leave a link to yours if you have one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...